I was trying to provision an Ubuntu server VM on Azure and i'd like to share how to get up and running Ubuntu sever 12/14/15 VM on Azure step by step.
1) From Azure Portal, Select Virtual Machines under compute, then select Ubuntu Server 15.
2) Install PuTTy as SSH Client to install extra components for the provisioned VM, you can find the client installation here:
3) Open PuTTY client and enter the Ubuntu server server VM url, you can find it in Azure portal -- Under Dashboard page for the provisioned VM. For example: UbuntuDevSample101.cloudapp.net
- Click on connect, a PuTTY console window will pop up.
- Log in with the creds you have set while provisioning your Ubuntu VM.
- After a successful login, A SSH command window open.
4) We need to install Ubuntu Desktop, run the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
This command will take a while, once it is completed, this means we have an Ubuntu desktop installed on the server.
Below screen show shows the command in SSH client:
5) Install remote connection (RDP) capability by typing the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install xrdp
7) We need to add a RDP end point to connect to the VM,
8) To add RDP endpoint to the VM, check out below screen shot:
9) From Azure portal, Click on Connect after adding the end point.
10) Enter the username and password!
11) After a successful login, you will be able to RDP to ubuntu VM with a desktop component!
Enjoy! Hope this helps.